The Volunteer and Donations Coordinator is collaborative supporter and a member of the integrated Development and Support Services Teams with the objective to support the mission of American’s First Organization and the clients served by building an ever-increasing network for volunteer and donor support to the organization. In conjunction with the Development Team, the Volunteer and Donations Coordinator is responsible for the volunteer recruitment, matching, orientation, project planning, implementation and supervision of volunteer activities; and solicitation and acquisition of in-kind donations to the organization. In addition to the daily maintenance of the volunteer program, the Volunteer and Donations Coordinator represents the organization at external events and builds relationships in the community and with volunteers and donors. The position requires a clear communicator, both verbal and written, organized with effective time management skills, demonstrating a willingness to learn and adapt, with the highest standards of behavior, detail orientation, collaborative manner and work ethic. This is a full-time position. The schedule for this position requires day hours and occasional evening and weekend hours to cover volunteer group activities, committee meetings and events to benefit the organization.
Volunteer Management Duties
- Completes the recruiting, screening, interviewing and training of new volunteers.
- Provides ongoing training and supervision of preexisting volunteers, ensuring that volunteers are given appropriate training to be successful in their positions.
- Works with volunteers individually and in small groups. Assesses experience, skills and limitations of volunteers to successfully engage them in meaningful volunteer service.
- Orients, trains, coaches, motivates, measures and evaluates volunteers in accordance with organizational policies, procedures and programs.
- Orients volunteers to increase their understanding of the organization, its clients, its services and the role and responsibilities of volunteers.
- Conducts monthly Volunteer Orientation sessions and develops volunteer training tools and curriculums as needed, including education around the issue of homelessness, and other relevant topics.
- Acts as liaison between the organization and the community, including but not limited to: 1) speaking to community and donor groups to present on the organizations history, needs and volunteer opportunities and 2) volunteers and the organization to ensure that staff are prepared for arrival of volunteer groups and that all necessary tools, resources and materials are readily available and that all staff understand details and expectations.
- Ensures that volunteer check-in procedures are followed and records of volunteer hours are maintained according to established procedures.
- Assists with conflict resolution among clients, staff and volunteers according to established procedures.
- Plans and implements formal and informal volunteer recognition activities to recognize the contribution of volunteers to the organization.
- Creates and maintains volunteer files which will track individual applications, background checks, and other paperwork related to their ongoing participation in American’s First Organization volunteering opportunities.
- Works side-by-side with volunteers to ensure that their hours are used productively and projects are completed in a timely manner.
- Maintains volunteer calendar, arranging schedules for different stations where volunteers are utilized throughout the organizations events.
- Covers vacancies in key stations when volunteers do not show up or are unavailable.
- Organizes and monitors the Food Acquisition project. Engages additional Food Acquisition donors (restaurants, caterers, businesses, etc.). Ensures Food Acquisition donors are supported by the organization.
- Completes monthly reporting summaries of volunteer hours and project statuses.
- Researches and cultivates relationships with individual and corporate donors and community agencies for the solicitation of in-kind goods.
- Communicates with potential donors regarding items to be donated, as well as planned delivery of said items.
- Exercises discretion regarding acceptance and/or disposition of donated goods and maintains donor relationship through attentive customer service.
- Completes donation paperwork for donors.
- Works with clients to ensure the proper processing of donations.
- Monitors the donation rooms to ensure organization and cleanliness.
- Facilitates logistics related to delivery of extra donations to other shelter sites or agencies.
- Acknowledges volunteer in-kind and financial donations in a timely manner.
- Meets regularly with Development Team to review and assess volunteer needs. General Duties
- Responds to inquiries, phone calls, and e-mail in a timely and responsive manner.
- Attends meetings in the community specific to duties, including: volunteering or volunteer engagement. Participate in staff meetings onsite, including all staff meetings, and selected Development team meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Experience and Abilities:
- United States Citizenship and the ability to provide proof is a requirement.
- As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must believe in the core values of American’s First Organization and be driven by the mission of the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in social service-related field preferred but not required.
- Experience teaching, working with volunteers and/or organizing community activities is required.
- Strong management skills including planning, coordination and supervision are required.
- Ability to perform physical work, including working in outdoor elements and lifting up to 50 lbs. unaided is required.
- This position will require a highly organized individual, with excellent follow up skills as well as the ability to overcome objections and obstacles in the pursuit of success.
- Minimum two years’ experience in Human Services preferred but not required.
- Experience working with one or more of the following: individuals experiencing homelessness and other related issues along with those living in poverty preferred.
- Superior one-on-one interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to foster confidence and trust, listen sensitively, and respond appropriately are key attributes for the successful applicant.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional boundaries in working with clients, volunteers and donors.
- Excellent written and verbal skills in the English language. Bilingual is preferred.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude, self-motivation, organization, and resourcefulness while maintaining a reputation through proven action of being client oriented.
- The successful candidate will have the ability to work well under stressful conditions, negotiate different personalities and work under competing priorities while managing a wide variety of tasks.
- Demonstrated proficiency in using Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and other applications.
- Must be prompt and dependable.
- Able to work with minimum day to day supervision.
- The nature of this work is also somewhat unpredictable and the successful candidate must have the flexibility to work some evenings and weekends.
- Integrity – operates within the highest ethical standards and integrity in all aspects of the position
- Motivated/Results Oriented – fantastic record of personal drive and the determination to succeed
- Mission Oriented – passionate about helping others; ownership spirit with a competitive disciplined execution for results
- Listening Skills – must be an active listener to insure client needs are fully understood and met
- Influence – skilled at directing and motivating others towards personal, academic and professional success
Must possess valid Florida Driver’s license. Interested candidates should submit cover letter, resume, and salary requirements by December 15, 2017 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position is open until filled
American’s First Organization is an Equal Opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.